The Difference Between Whey Protein And Casein Protein

The 101 of Casein and Whey Proteins
Whey Protein and casein protein

In this era when everybody is conscious about their health and fitness and constantly googling  how to get bigger arms or the best abs workout, the supplement market is thriving. A lot of supplements have landed in the market to pick from. However, many supplements have come and gone but two supplements have maintained their position in this ocean. Whey and Casein proteins are considered to be the safest and the most effective of them all. MH tells you the A to Z of both these protein.

Where Are They Derived From

Both Whey protein and Casein protein are derived from dairy. A study published in the Nutrition Journal in 2014 shows that Casein protein makes up for 80% of the protein in cow’s milk and the remaining 20% constituents of Whey protein. These supplements are so popular as they are high quality and they constitute all the essential amino acids, which are not found in the body and have to be consumed via food. The study also shows that because of their origin, these supplements can be easily digested and absorbed.

Both these proteins are the byproducts of curd formation. Once curd is formed, the liquid substance that floats over the curd is the whey protein. This liquid substance is further washed and dried into powdered form to converted  to supplements.

Similarly, the remaining curd is dried and made into powdered form to make casein protein.

Which Is Better For Building Muscle?

 

whey_and_casein_supplements.jpg

 

Whey protein is the one that you should opt for while aiming for bigger muscles. Another study published in the Journal Of Nutrition in 2009 shows that whey protein has a higher concentration of the amino acid ‘leucine’ which is required for jump starting the process of building muscle. Apart from this whey protein also has the capability to synthesis muscle protein, that is if taken in accordance with fitness workouts.

Nutritional Information Of Both

According to the GNC, there is not a major difference in the nutritional values of each.

Per standard scoop (1.1 ounce)

Whey Protein

Casein Protein

Calories

110

120

Fats

1

1

Carbohydrates

2

4

Proteins

24

24

Calcium

8% of the RDI

50% of the RDI

There is no method of figuring out which protein is better. At the end of the day the total daily intake of protein is what matters the most.

Not Sponsored

Live: People Reading Now

Trending

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU