Tanning isn’t the only thing to protect your skin from in summers; sunburns, pigmentation and wrinkles are all caused by UV rays of the sun.
Despite these increasingly well-known dangers of sun exposure, many of us, on occasion, get lazy when it comes to protecting our skin or just can't resist the myth that getting some colour from the sun makes us look healthier. While is it of utmost importance to protect your skin, what works for one skin type, might not work for the other.
Understanding Your Skin Type:
Skin can be categorised on the basis of their texture and hydration. It can be divided into four types: dry, oily, combination and sensitive skin.
Signs Of Dry Skin:
• Extreme dryness and cracking feeling
• Corners of your lips and mouth get cracks
• Itching and tightness in the skin
Test: Nail scratch test, skin turns white on running nails through it.
How To Treat Sunburn If You have Dry Skin
Rub a good quantity of moisturiser over the damaged skin area. As dry skin gets the wrinkles easily, you must stay well-hydrated.
2. Oily Skin
Signs Of Oily Skin:
• Oil Sebaceous glands are hyperactive
• Secrete extra oil
• This type of skin attracts a lot of dust and has a tendency to burst out into acne and pimples.
Test: Use a cleanser to clean the face and after sometime use a tissue to wipe the skin. If the tissue turns oily, the skin fits this category.
How To Treat Sunburn If You Have Oily Skin?
Rub an ice cube over the sunburnt area for 3-4 minutes, two times in a day. You can also apply aloe vera gel for skin conditioning and leave it overnight.
3. Sensitive Skin
Signs Of Sensitive Skin:
• People with such skin are very sensitive to new products and are prone to allergies and rashes.
How To Treat Sunburn If You Have Sensitive Skin?
Get your skin analysed by a certified skin expert to know which products or procedure suit you.
4. Combination Skin
Signs Of Combination Skin (more than 50 per cent of people fall into this category)
• T zone, the area between the forehead line and the nose, will be oily
• C zone, the cheek area, will be either oily or dry
• Corners of the lips are dry
How To Treat Sunburn If You Have Combination Skin?
Exfoliate the sunburnt area well using homemade scrubs and apply moisturiser around the damaged area. Exfoliation will help in dissolving the dead skin cells instead of scrubbing them off.
General skin care tips to follow:
- Always apply sunscreen lotion on the face, half an hour before you step out in the sun, to protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Carry an umbrella or wear a hat to protect yourself, if possible.
- Try to avoid going out in the sun between 10 am and 4 pm; since it is the peak time when the sun rays are strong.
- Drink plenty of water and eat fruits to keep your skin well-hydrated and clear.
- Cover your skin so that not much is exposed to the sun.
- Follow a cleansing-toning-moisturising regime twice daily
- Stay happy to look healthy
Ms. Preeti Seth is a Wellness Expert & Cosmetologist from Pachouli Wellness Clinic, Delhi.