He might be over 50 years old, but actor Suniel Shetty is in the best of shape. The actor is an inspiration to many and shares his diet secrets as well as what he does, other than working out at the gym, to lose weight.
MH Team: How has being fit changed you over the years?
Suniel Shetty: Being fit got me roles in movies, it elevated my career and being fit is still helping me today as well. As a person, I feel that I am infinitely closer to myself because of fitness. My body takes care of me and thus, I have to take care of it. Moreover, fitness has made me more disciplined, dedicated and instilled the ‘try, try and you will succeed’ philosophy in my head. Also, being fit motivates me. Every day I achieve a new milestone and that fuels me to achieve the next one.
When it comes to food, what does your diet plan look like?
I have a very simple diet plan – Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits and try to drink juices and smoothies. I believe in eating natural and thus stay clear of artificial and factory-made supplements and fast foods. I also avoid any kind of bread and instead opt for rotis made out of quinoa flour to cut out gluten.
You’ve mention that you do Yoga every day. How has this helped you over the years? What are the asanas that you concentrate on?
I have been an avid practitioner of yoga as a kid. I used to have bad migraines and took medicines for the same but that was affecting my body. Then one day someone recommended pranayama to me and I haven’t looked back since then. Moreover, as one gets older, our muscles get weaker and thus, we have to tweak our fitness routine to strengthen the muscles and not strain them. For me, Yoga does the trick – it makes me stronger, more agile without straining my muscles.
I generally do Surya Namaskar and other stretching asanas with Pranayamas. I believe Surya Namaskar is the most comprehensive exercise ever as it opens your circulation and mind!
What about cheat days? How often do you have these and what do you love to binge on during this time?
I am a huge believer of cheat days! Saturdays are the days when I dine out or usually eat all that I want to. I also have a sweet tooth and I am always craving for something sugary. So, I turn to dates and have one after every meal. I also indulge in boiled sweet potatoes, occasionally, to satisfy my sweet cravings.
You are an inspiration to many men. What are the five fitness tips you want to give the readers?
1. Gymming Isn’t The Only Way To Be Fit – You have to diversify your approach towards fitness. Incorporate sports, swimming, dancing etc.
2. Start Slow And Gain Speed – Rome wasn’t built in a day. Similarly, you can’t reach your prime on the first day.
3. Eat Right – Nourish your body with the right foods. You don’t have to starve yourself or overeat. A balanced diet which works in your favour is the best way to go.
4. Maintain A Routine – It is very important to make a routine otherwise any fitness regime will not give you the results you are aiming for.
5. Chuck Out What Doesn’t Work For You – Some exercises can cause more harm than help. Try to replace these exercises with ones which work for you better.